Tuesday, March 25, 2014

It's a State of Mind


       
Ok, I’m already hearing the negative chit chat. “I can't give up my sugar,” "What am I going to do without my favorite cereal?" "I can't live without sugar!" I’m sure we each can fill in our own blanks. Aside from the fact that you know one of my least favorite words is that "c" word above, can I suggest we start this challenge off a little differently? Let’s get in a more positive mindset.

There is some psychology behind creating habits and having a positive outlook that I want us to apply. If we go into this thing “denying” ourselves of what we think we want (key word: think – because remember, sugar is very addictive and is like the little demon in the room making you “think” you want it), “our intellectual self is fighting our emotional self”. Guess who is going to win? Emotion.

But if we change out mindset to “allowing ourselves” to have sugar, then intellectually, that makes sense, and emotionally, we are not battling our intellect because we are saying “yes”. Once our emotions and our intellect are on the same page satisfaction increases, confidence increases, and we feel in control of our behaviors. Then the habits can change.

Mindset #1: “I CAN have sugar.”


Now that you are "giving" to yourself (allowing) and not "taking away" (denying), we’re going to turn our daily sugar teaspoons into currency. Men: you have 9 cubes/teaspoons (36 grams) to spend daily; ladies: you have 6 (24 grams); kiddos: play along with us and you get 6, too.

Now that we viewing this more positively and telling ourselves that we are not completely giving up sugar, we need to place more value on the sugar we are going to have. It’s a limited commodity, not a free for all. Kind of like finances for many of us: “money doesn’t grow on trees;” our sugar intake is not limitless either. So let’s change the thought pattern to: how are we going to spend our daily sugar cubes? What is most important to you?

Decide what you really want to spend them on. Do you truly want to spend your currency on that specific item? Were you even aware you were already spending lots of your sugar currency on something and not even realizing it, thus receiving no value for it? Is it what you think you want to spend your sugar currency on really worth it? How will it benefit you? Will it make you healthier? Is it a conscious, intentional “spend”? You get the idea.

Mindset #2: Spend your teaspoons wisely.


Keep It Simply Sugar. Unlimited natural sugar. Period. If it’s fruit or dairy with no added flavors or sweeteners, you’re golden. However, the goal is not to overindulge in added sweeteners. So what’s the difference?

Here’s the Cliff Notes version: your insulin does not spike nearly as much with natural sugar, thus you don’t get the “sugar highs and subsequent crashes” and there are nutrients, vitamins and minerals that come packaged with that "naturally" sweet item you are eating. When you eat fruit, you also get fiber, which slows down the insulin response even more. And quite frankly, when you are eating a product with added sugar, typically there’s other crazy stuff that comes along with it: empty calories, lots of carbs, chemicals – non-food “stuff”. Unnatural/added sugars basically keeps your body on a roller coaster of crying for more, more, more, your body can't process it, so it stores it as fat. Eek. Not a pretty picture.

So, plain and simple: if it has an ingredient list with the following on it, there is added sugar:

*Sugar
*Syrup
* "-ose" words (such as maltose, destrose, or glucose)
*and in the case of this challenge, as with the AHA guidelines we are using, honey, agave nectar and maple syrup are added sweeteners. If you want to use them, you’ll need to “trade” your teaspoons for them – because you are “adding” them

The foods with natural sugars only will say “sugar” on the label with a gram (g) amount beside it, but you won’t see any of the above in the ingredients list. If that’s the case,  you don’t need to spend your teaspoons on it. However, if any of the above is listed in the ingredients list, then check the serving size at the top of the label and calculate your teaspoons/cubes/grams accordingly. Confused? Ask me or snap a pic of the label and text it to me.

Mindset #3: K.I.S.S. If you see it on the ingredients list, it is “added” sugar.


I’m already hearing it: “I had no idea that I was eating that much sugar!” Congratulations! In my eyes, you’ve already conquered the challenge: becoming aware. That was my main goal with the entire challenge and we’re already achieving it. Here are a couple suggestions to become more aware:

*If you “add” sugar to something, measure it! Keep a ½ teaspoon-measuring spoon on the counter, not a full teaspoon. If you’re going to add sugar, start with ½ and go from there. Assess if you can stay with that or really need to add more. Your teaspoons will go farther in smaller increments and you just might surprise yourself with being able to get away with adding less. You’ll also probably be surprised about the original amount you WERE adding!

*Sweet or Unsweetened? If you can, purchase a product that is unsweetened and then add your own sugar. Presweetened products (yogurts, cereals, oats, etc) are sweet! Try adding fresh or frozen fruit or your own sweetener of choice 1/2 teaspoon at a time instead of being at the mercy of what a manufacturer wants to add for you. You can add any added sweetener you choose, just measure it and use your “cubes” from your daily allotment to "purchase" it!

*Use the Challenge Chart to create a bar graph DAILY. Print one for hubby and kids. Let everyone play. There are no “losers” in this game, because gained awareness is all part of the win. Each square in the Slash the Sugar graph is a “sugar cube” for you to spend daily. Remember, you can use partial cubes, so shade them in accordingly. Be aware, be in control, and be conscious about what you are putting in your body!

Mindset #4: Be Mindful.


Happy Sugar~ing!



5 comments:

  1. My children all signed up on the spot!!! - I gave the boys 9 spoonfuls is that enough - Faye got 6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is perfect! Your boys are extremely active so that sounds great! Super proud of them for doing it! There's so much power in knowledge when kids learn to read labels! That's huge!! Atta boy...and Girl!!

      Delete
  2. Is this the forum to discuss with other members of the challenge? I need suggestions. I gave up my daily Diet Dr. Pepper habit and stopped putting sweetner in my iced tea last year and my next mission was to stop drinking my coffee since I have to put Splenda in it. I planned to switch to hot tea with honey (at least it is natural), but just realized how much sugar is in honey. So what in the world can I drink in the morning and not use up all my sugar for the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I love a good morning java, so it's important enough for me to use one of my teaspoons. I add half and half which has no "added sugar". I found if I use a 1/2 teaspoon it allows me to moderate what I use. My dear husband WAS adding an unknown amount of sugar to my coffee - varying daily - so putting the 1/2t on the counter really helped quantify and control it.

      Delete
  3. Breakfast ideas would be great. I am going to get sick of eggs really fast. And most cereal has added sugar. Not worth giving up my sugar for cereal.... I would rather save it for dark chocolate or wine :)

    ReplyDelete